picture scrolling

Tinker Tailor Soldier SPY

Free DHTML scripts provided by Dynamic Drive

29.9.10

Waiting on... Wednesday

Music is a huge part of my life - a huge part of a lot of people's lives - which is why I love when books center around or have a large music focus. The Half-Life of Planets by Emily Franklin and Brendan Halpin first appealed to me because of the vinyl-looking cover, but after reading the description and reviews, I'm now more interested to read it because of the characters.

the premise: After being branded promiscuous, Lianna decides to give up kissing for the summer and instead focus on her other interest - planetary science. Enter Hank. He's never been kissed even though he's smart and funny. Hank also has Asperger's, though he's high-functioning and is obsessed with music. Together they strike up an unlikely friendship.

why I'm dying to read it: Besides the obvious music references, I also really like reading books about people who are different from me. I've read other books about teens with Asperger's and am curious how this book will portray the syndrome. Also, this book has two authors writing the two points of view (like Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist which I've talked about tons) and I've really liked that format in the past.

how long I have to wait: I have no idea! It's still on-order so I'm waiting for it to make it's way down the processing line.

while you're waiting, check out: A really good teen book featuring a character on the Autism spectrum is Marcelo in the Real World by Francesco X. Stork. If you're looking for books with varying points of view by two authors, also try Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan about the unlikely friendship of two guys named Will Grayson.  It also involves a musical! Another book I loved in which music played a big role was Vinyl Princess by Yvonne Prinz.

(as an aside, I got my hands on two former waiting on wednesday books - Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June  which was well worth the wait and I'm also currently reading Dash & Lily's Book of Dares which is also fantastic so far)

No comments: