picture scrolling

Tinker Tailor Soldier SPY

Free DHTML scripts provided by Dynamic Drive

17.12.10

Best Books of 2010 - Staff Picks edition

I read a lot of good books this year which made narrowing my list down to only 10 nearly impossible. I narrowed my books down to things published either in 2009 or 2010 and even then it was hard. My definition of a good book is something that I finish and immediately want to either a) read again or b) recommend to someone. They don't have to be literary masterpieces or even be original. They just have to make me excited enough to want to share the book with someone else.

This list is in no order...

1. Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford (2009)
Brent nailed teenage boy narrative voice with this book. It's crude, awkward, at times careless and dumb, but mostly it's hilarious and at times oddly touching. While this is a go-to recommendation for funny books for guys, I also think girls will enjoy it too. Or at least I did (but I have an older brother so I'm not stranger to dumb boy humour)

2. Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (2009)
This book could have been awful and I still would have loved it because have you seen the illustrations? Thankfully not only does this book score gorgeous art, it also has an awesome plot full of really cool things - genetically altered super animals and huge war machines, not to mention an awesome girl who disguises herself to be a soldier. It's the first book in a trilogy that's shaping up to be awesome.

3. Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins (2008-2010)
It took me a while to get around to reading Hunger Games because it had such hype around it I was afraid it wasn't going to live up to it. My worries were entirely unfounded. The books live up to the hype - super intense and fast-paced. You won't be able to put them down.

4. A Spy in the House by Y.S. Lee (2010)
As you may have noticed, I love books about independent girls who don't need boys around to be amazing. In A Spy in the House, which takes place in Victorian London, Mary discovers that her boarding school is actually a secret spy school for women (a little far fetched, I know, but the author makes it work). Her first mission is to infiltrate the house of a merchant, but to only observe, not actually do anything. As you can guess, not only does Mary get really involved in the case, she breaks it wide open. This book was a really good mix of historic fiction and mystery.

5. Heist Society by Ally Carter (2010)
Speaking of amazing girls, Kat in Heist Society pretty much rocked. I love heist movies - who doesn't? - and so reading about an art heist pulled off by teens was really cool. Although some things were a little too convenient - like having a millionaire best friend - it was a really fun read.

6. Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd (2009)
I read a lot of GLBTQ teen fiction this year and while a lot of them were really good (A Love Story Starring my Dead Best Friend almost made my list), Vast Fields of Ordinary stood out. I really liked Dade as a character even though he has so many flaws and I liked that he was able to realize that he was better than being ignored (as he was by the first guy he fooled around with). I loved his chemistry with Alex and even though the ending was a bit abrupt, Vast Fields was a really good read.

7. Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce (2010)
This book combines two things that I like very much in fiction - fractured fairy tales and girls who kick butt. Sisters Red is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood in which Little Red and her sister turn into werewolf slayers. I really liked how the book was mainly about the sisters' relationship and their two outlooks on life - Scarlett thinks that werewolf slaying should be her priority and that there isn't time for anything else while Rosie wants more in her life than slaying and feels guilty because of it. I wrote a more detailed review here, if you're interested in reading more.

8. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn (2010)
This book is the kind of book that you catch yourself smiling throughout not because it's paricularly funny but because it's so gosh darn good. Maybe it's because the opening scene takes place in one of my favourite bookstores - The Strand in New York - but the whole mood and feel of the book was perfect and felt like it was written for me. If you liked Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, I think it's safe to say you'll like this one too.
9. Paranormalcy (2010) by Kiersten White
I know I've already reviewed this, but I have to say again that I really really liked it! It was the book I brought with me while road tripping to New York after 3 hours sleep and it had to be really good to keep me awake and reading. It wasn't a book I would have normally picked up - I'm a bit tired of paranormal romance - but I'm glad I did. If you're looking for a book that's funny but also has action and awesome characters and great romance, pick this one up.

10. Anna and the French Kiss (2010) by Stephanie Perkins
Okay, first off ignore the cheesiest title ever and the super cheesy cover. This book was actually really good! Anna is sent away to boarding school (in Paris!) by her parents without any choice in the matter. At first she's annoyed but then she realizes she's in Paris (!!!) and learns a lot about the culture and the city. This isn't a deep read, by any stretch, but I was looking for a light, fun romance and it delivered. Anna and Etienne - her British boarding school crush - have lots of chemistry and I found Anna a really likeable character, even as I was yelling at her 'But you're in PARIS! Why are you moping in your room?!' It will make you want to jaunt off to Paris to try some croissants and relax under the Eiffel Tower.


When I asked HPL staff what books they loved this year, the resounding cry was, 'Hunger Games!' Katniss, Peeta and Gale stole all of our hearts, just like they stole yours. Here are other reads that HPL staff loved:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you have a great page here… today was my first time coming here.. I just happened to find it doing a google search. anyway, good post.. I’ll be bookmarking this page for sure.