picture scrolling

Tinker Tailor Soldier SPY

Free DHTML scripts provided by Dynamic Drive

5.1.11

Waiting on Wednesday...

Back to our usual Wednesday blogging! Today's book is Orchards by Holly Thompson.

the premise:  (copying from the catalog because I think it's really well worded) After a classmate commits suicide, Kana Goldberg-a half-Japanese, half-Jewish American-wonders who is responsible. She and her cliquey friends said some thoughtless things to the girl. Hoping that Kana will reflect on her behavior, her parents pack her off to her mother's ancestral home in Japan for the summer.


why I'm dying to read it: The setting sounds gorgeous - I love Japan - and the book sounds like it brings up some really interesting issues around suicide and identity. It sounds like a read you can really dig your teeth into.

how long I have to wait: Until mid-February

while you're waiting check out: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. Similar issues about cliques and whatnot but done in a really different way (in Before I Fall, the main character relives her last day over and over again and through that changes her behaviour).

No comments: