picture scrolling

Tinker Tailor Soldier SPY

Free DHTML scripts provided by Dynamic Drive

13.1.11

Teen Review: The Gift by James Patterson

Witch & Wizard: The Gift by James Patterson and Ned Rust

Whit and Wisty Allgood are always on the run.  Since a horrible new government has come to power, all forms of creativity and personal expression have been forbidden. Whit and Wisty are in danger because they have been accused of being a witch and wizard, and are sentenced to death. While they are using their powers to help the underground Resistance movement, they are constantly being sought out by the leader of the government, The One Who Is The One. The One pursues Whit and Wisty in order to try and convince them to turn their powerful gifts over to him for his evil use. They are negotiated with, threatened, and even sent to a “school” that will supposedly convince them of the wisdom of relenting. Whit and Wisty must resist the power of The One and fight for the freedom of their world. But when events take a turn for the weird and one of their friends is working for The One, who can Whit and Wisty really trust anymore?

I am under the impression that a number of people did not enjoy the first book in this series, “Witch & Wizard,” because of the fast paced, super-short chapters and somewhat detached narration. However, I thoroughly enjoyed both books, possibly even because of the choppy style. When you take into consideration that the book is being narrated by two teenagers in a time of uncertainty and constant fear, you might find that the style actually fits the story quite well. Even if you don’t feel that way, I think that you will still enjoy the story. Overall, a wonderful book that ends in a nail-biting cliff-hanger.


~Kristen

2 comments:

Clarissa said...

I was hoping to do a review on this book but it seems you have beat me to it!

I am surprised to hear that you enjoyed it. I found this book to be worse then the first. I felt like there was no forward movement in the plot, James Patterson seems to be at a standstiil in his writing. I was also disapointed in the ending, it ended pretty much the same as the first.

Kristen said...

Whoops, sorry I took your book. :)
I get the feeling that there will be a big finale for the last book, and the others are just leading up to it. I guess it's the suspense that gets me